Back again!

I'm back home again after another holiday. I am certainly making up for lost time. There was a time as a few years ago I did go go on holiday for several years.
Anyway this trip was to one of my favourite places in all the world and where I have been to many times, The Lake District.
The plan this time was to visit places in the area we hadn't been to before and yes we did find some.
We stayed in this beautiful cottage, The Dairy near Coniston. From the garden we had a picturesque view down to the lake and across the lake in front of us The Old Man of Coniston . It was so quite that all we could hear was the bleating of the occasional sheep for the fields opposite and the calling of buzzards as the flew over sometimes. There was a bridleway opposite as well leading into Grizedale Forest so we could go for walks or OH could go off on his mountain bike every morning. We went to so many places such as Wast Water (voted Britain's best view), The Hardknot Pass, Grasmere, Ambleside, Windermere, Buttermere, Cartmel and many more.
OH took hundereds of photo's, so may I took the camera way from him in the end.
We spent the first morning in Coniston Village having breakfast at the Bluebird Cafe. The sun was shinning and I thought how life doesn't get much better than this.

As members of The National Trust we try to visit any property we come across and so we visited Sizergh Castle on the second day. We enjoyed it the house and gardens but when it came to having lunch we were shocked how much they charged for everything. A bowl of soup was over £6.00. I hasten to add we beat a fast retreat and found a cafe nearby that only charged £3.50
Goin owwer one of t'meny of them there passes they ave up there we came across t' sign which didn't haf mek us smile. On the Wednesday OH was ready to go cycling somewhere other than Grizedale Forest. Whilst he disappear for a few hours I went for a walk and then found a quite spot and read a book. I can recommend this pub. The Drunken Duck not far from Ambleside. There are even tables on the other side of the road to sit at on a sunny day that give fabulous views over the rolling hills.
National Trust property again is Wray Castle. The inside isn'tt open to the public but the cground are and the day we went The Steamboat were using the old boat house for one of their get togethers. Over 12 old steamboats all together on a lovely sunny afternoon. The owners moored up and got their picnics out and quite happy for the few visitors to the castle grounds to walkround and view the boats.

Before we left the area we just had to go to Yew Tree farm for a cream tea. I could just image Renee Zellweger walking around dressed as Beatrice Potter.

Next part of our holiday we headed......for Northumberland

2 comments:

Rosie said...

What a beautiful cottage to stay in! Sounds like you have had a great time and seen some lovely places - I'm looking forward to your Northumberland post to see if you visited Bamburgh and the Castle there - it is one of my top 10 favourite places:)

Vintage to Victorian said...

What a wonderful holiday. I've had several in that neck of the woods over the years, but when you mentioned The Drunken Duck ... MANY years ago - 1967, or it may have been 1968 I went to the Lake District with my aunt, uncle and cousin for a week, camping. We went to the Drunken Duck most evenings - it looks a bit different now! I bought one of their souvenir mugs which I kept until about 5 years ago!

On our return, whilst my aunt and uncle towed back their caravan, my cousin and I drove home in his 1958 VW beetle. Those were the days!

Sue