Irlen Syndrome

I promised my friend Janet I would put something on my blog about Irlens Syndrome. Look at some of these examples and imagine what it would be like if this is how you saw writing everytime you try to read.


My son was 15 yrs old when I found out the reason why he didn't like to read for more than a 5 to 10 minutes at time. Why he complained of headaches and words' banging' together when reading sometimes. I had taken him to the optician and he was prescribed ordinary glasses. This helped a little but he still complained when asked to read for any length of time. He had done well at school and attended a grammar school but something was still not right. It was only after Janet tested him and he had 'overlays' he was able to read without all the problems and the words stayed still on the page.
To find out more then take a look at:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does make you wonder whether this is more of a problem than we realise,with young children and their learning to read.
I've had quite a few children who have come with those coloured overlays to help them with their reading but I have never heard of the syndrome that you mention.
Off to read the links now! ;-)

Rosie said...

I'd never heard of this before so thanks for the information I, too, am off to have a look at the sites you have highlighted:)

jennifer said...

lots of people haven't hear of Irlen syndrome before so I have dyslexia and irlen syndrome I have a blog too don't called me stupid check it out.