Most National Trust properties don't open until at least 10:00am so we tried to visit a place of interest on the way to which ever house we were visiting that day. On the way to Coleton Fishacre we stopped off at Wembury Beach. It was not the sunniest of mornings but still there were lots of people out on surf boards and canoes plus families searching the rock pools.
Andy said that the little island reminded him of Kirrin Island. although I think it is a little small for that.
| Andy thought this was funny. We're not sure why there is an old lady on the toilet sign. |
After a brief stop off at the beach we headed for Coleton Fishacre.
This was the holiday home of the D'Oyly Carte family built in the Arts and Crafts style with viewpoints out to sea. The pretty gardens have meandering paths filled with plants from different parts of the world. As we entered we could hear music coming from the piano in the saloon which added to the atmosphere. I was sure any minute Bertie Wooster would come down the stairs saying 'Right ho, old thing', as the pianist was playing the theme tune from the 90's TV programme .
Although the house was delightful I found it a sad place after reading about it's history. Lady Dorothy and Rupert D'Oyly Carte weren't happy and after the death of their son lived separate lives, finally divorcing in 1941. So although Lady Dorothy's bedroom was lovely I can imagine she spent many sad lonely nights in it.
Rupert had his own room when he stayed at the house. She eventually remarried and went to live abroad.I can recommend a visit to this house if you are ever in the area followed by lunch or tea in the cafe. The food was delicious!
Still to come- Lydford Gorge, Cotehele, Knighthayes Court, Bigbury on Sea, Totnes and Kingswear but it maybe be a few days before I can write about them.

No comments:
Post a Comment