After not having a holiday last year I decided that whatever the finances are we would get away for a few days. I needed a change of scenery and so when I saw that Travelodge had a £10 per room sale I got up early and booked a few nights in Devon a place we had travelled through but never stopped in.
I really wanted to visited
Greenway the home of Agatha Christie which open a few years ago. I found out before leaving home that they do not encourage cars to visit the property but to travel to the house via ferry, train or bus. Having never been to Dartmouth we decided to start the journey by parking in Dartmouth and catching the ferry and I am pleased we did as the trip up the estuary was a lovely way to arrive.
 |
| Dartmouth |
 |
| Dartmouth |
 |
| Taken from the ferry on the way to Greenway |
 |
| The view from the ferry of of Agatha Christie's Boathouse. |
 |
| We had lunch on the front lawn at Greenway with it's view over the estuary. |
 |
| First things first, coffee and cake. |
 |
| The cake was served in a huge chunk, |
What I loved about the house was it just looks like the family have gone out for a while and left everything lying around. I was told by one of the people working in the house that the family had requested that was how the National Trust were to present the house to the public.
I have read many of Agatha's books over the years but I still couldn't resist buying two more. These are both written using her home and surrounding area as the inspiration for them.
I am off to do some reading now but will be back with another part of our Devon holiday later.
No comments:
Post a Comment