Something weird about me?

chicken
I signed up to the Campaign for a Free Range Future likes lots of people. But the thing is I'm a vegetarian and have been for over 24 years. The weird thing about it is that I think I was born a vegetarian. I've never liked eating meat even as a child. One of my earliest memories is sitting at the dinner table with my mum trying to get me to eat the lamb on my plate. All I can think about the event was how much I disliked the taste and feel of it. We had stew one day and I tried to pick out the vegetables and spat out the chunks of beef. I would rather have starved than eat chicken or any other meat.
In the days when I was a child everyone seemed to eat meat and not eating it was something my parents couldn't comprehend. I was taken to the doctors for not eating properly and my mum was worried. My mum gave me vitamin tablets and followed the doctors advice on letting me eat other things such as eggs and plenty of fruit and veg. I did eat sausages and burgers but they didn't seem to be like meat to me.
The crunch came when I became and adult and one day I listened to a Radio 4 programme on how animals are killed at the abattoir and why some people become vegetarians. The presenter talked about how animals sense fear and how adrenalin is pumping through their body just before they are killed. I am an animal lover and this made me feel very upset.
Later that day I was preparing a meal for my family and I looked at the meat in the saucepan and that was the moment I decided I was going to become a vegetarian. I didn't like eating meat why did I just stop and so I have not eaten meat from that day since.
All my family are meat eaters, even my children. That's why I signed up to the free range campaign but I don't understand why anyone wants to be a carnivore. Don't fret though I won't try to convert you if steak or roast chicken makes your mouth water. Each to their own I say.

2 comments:

Rosie said...

rosie, your tale of becoming a vegetarian sounds just like mine. As a child in the fifties and growing up in the country of course we ate quite a bit of meat but I was never fully happy with it and would pick at it and cut off fat, rinds and etc. When I was about 21 I decided to cut out meat but I was still living at home and it was difficult to fit in with everyone else in the early seventies there wasn't much to latch on to so I drifted back into eating a little meat. In the early eighties, by now I was married, when my husband was made redundant we decided we couldn't afford meat so gave it up and haven't eaten it since. By now we'd discovered Cranks, Rose Elliott and Sarah Brown's Terrace Project and things were opening up for people like us - we had choice at last. We haven't eaten meat since about 1982 so about 25 years. We do buy free range eggs so must go and look at the Campaign web-site :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosie I've just cheated on my weird things by linking my latest post to an old one. Hope you don't mind!
Carolyn
http://willowhouse.typepad.com