Just a few of the books we have collected

I have decided to have a sort out and to sell some things. Since moving we have little room and had to store many things in the loft. It's not ideal and I have been worried that our books might deteriorate.
What start me thinking about them was when I was sorting out reading books for the children in my class, a 7 year old girl had recently finished the school reading scheme and was able to be a free reader. I asked he if there was anything she was particularly wanted to read and she asked could she have First Term at Mallory Towers. It made me smile as some 40 years ago I read it for the first time. It was lovely to know that a young girl was still as eager as I was to find out what adventures Darrel Rivers would be getting up to at boarding school.
I still remember the excitement I felt when i got each book and read of a life far removed from my own. The same with Five on Treasure Island and the following books. I used to plan to have adventures just like George, Dick, Julian, Anne and Timmy and so did my two friends, Christine and Caroline. We made our own ginger beer and plotted what else we would need to take with us. Though we never got further than the den made in the hedgerow of a nearby field. How innocent it all seems now.
I have a quite a few Enid Blyton books collected from our childhood and others purchased when our sons were small. They loved reading them as much as their dad and I did. One of our family funny memories is of our son when he was 9 years old (he is now 23) entering the bedroom early one morning all excited and saying, 'Dick got a letter'. His dad and I looked at each other. No sign of recollection on either face. 'Dick who's Dick?' we both asked. It's in the book I'm reading, he replied and it's really exciting.
We have all The Famous Five books many of them 1st editions, all the Secret Seven books and all the Mallory Towers series apart from In the Second Term at Mallory Towers. These I would never part with but we have several of the Mystery books. a Sunshine Book from 1965 and various others. Not sure what is best to sell them on ebay individually or as a whole. They aren't worth much. I don't want to throw them away and it would be nice to get some money for them to spend on something else.
Now who's for macaroons, a slab of fruit cake and lashings of ginger beer and a jolly good time to be had by all ?.
We have all The Famous Five books many of them 1st editions, all the Secret Seven books and all the Mallory Towers series apart from In the Second Term at Mallory Towers. These I would never part with but we have several of the Mystery books. a Sunshine Book from 1965 and various others. Not sure what is best to sell them on ebay individually or as a whole. They aren't worth much. I don't want to throw them away and it would be nice to get some money for them to spend on something else.
Now who's for macaroons, a slab of fruit cake and lashings of ginger beer and a jolly good time to be had by all ?.
3 comments:
The binders are so lovely, aren't they. I think you are right to sell them, though. So much better that they go to a child who will read them and love them.:-)
I too was a great fan of Mallory Towers books as was my elder daughter. I re-read them when she was reading them.
Please don't sell them on ebay....I will buy them from you and pay postage.
Could you email me?
Post a Comment