
All the talk of Nettle Soup got me thinking. No way could I imagine gathering nettles from the fields or side of the road. But I am very good at picking up veg of the shelves of the local grocery store and supermarket. I love making homemade soup. They are filling a fairly cheap to make and so yesterday I made one of my favourite winter warmers. It cost a few pence to make something that is low in fat and full of flavour. Served with a warm crusty wholemeal roll it was delicious. Tomorrow I'm making Jerusalem Artichoke soup as they were on special offer in Tesco. This economising lark is looking a much better prospect now.
Carrot and Ginger Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion
1-2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 tablespoon of finely grated fresh root ginger
375g (12oz) sliced carrot
900ml (1 1/2 pints) vegetable stock
2 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper
4 teaspoons soured cream
Heat oil in a saucepan over a low heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add stock and carrots and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Puree in a blender or food processor. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.Pour in to a serving dish and add sour cream to decorate.
The recipe is in the Vegetarian Student Cook Book along with lots of other cheap and easy to make tasty meals. A colleague bought the book for his son when he was going off to uni and like it so much he kept it for himself. Every week he would bring in something he had made from it for his lunch. The look and smell made me go out and buy my own copy and I wasn't disappointed.
No comments:
Post a Comment