I was watching BBC Breakfast this morning and they featured an article on poetry and what was the first poem you learnt as a child. Well my first poem wasn't a classic or one taht anyone will probably know. It was from a very old childrens book.
Archibauld William Vaughan
Wished he had never been born
I will tell you why with a simple reply
Just look how his britches are torn.
Enough to put me off poetry for ever but no quite the opposite in fact . After learning my first one I went on to learn lots more. In fact I love read and writing it.
One of my favourites He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven by WB Yeats, was read in the film 84 Charing Cross by the velvet voiced Anthony Hopkins.
Another one I learnt by heart as a child was :
The Land of Counterpane by Robert Louis Stevenson
When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay
To keep me happy all the day.
And sometimes for an hour or so I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;
And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.
I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.
I like so many and always enjoy hearing new ones. I heard Pam Ayres reading one about her husband a few weeks ago and it made me laugh. I must look for a copy of her book.
What was the first poem you learnt, the one you like or does poetry just leave you cold?
5 comments:
My love of poetry began when I was about 6 years old. We had to copy a poem from the blackboard,each week,for handwriting practice. The one I remember the most is 'Bed in Summer' by Robert Louis Stevenson.
(And 84 Charing Cross Road is one of my favourite films!) ;-)
I love the Yeats poem and Anthony Hopkins's voice - wonderful - thank you:)
I don't remember learning much in the way of poetry at school. I do remember a poem from a book I had though that started'James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George Dupree looked after his Mother, though he was only three!
I'm not really a lover of poetry though used to like some of the stuff by the so called Mersey poets. Given where you work, I thought you'd enjoy one of Roger McGough's, about the first day of school. I love the last line:
Tea-cher. The one who makes the tea.
http://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/roger-mcgough/first-day-at-school/
Wordsworth & Coleridge left me cold at school as did Clare but Wilfred Owen was the saving grace for me.
This is now one of my favs:
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
Whose woods these are I think I know,
His house is in the village though.
He will not see me stopping here,
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer,
To stop without a farmhouse near,
Between the woods and frozen lake,
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake,
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep,
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost
Post a Comment