Mothering Sunday



Mothering Sunday is on the fourth Sunday of Lent. It is often called Mother's Day in Britain.
On this day children often give their mothers gifts and cards as a way of saying thank you for their hard work. Many years ago girls who worked as domestic servants were given the day off work to visit their mothers. In church, prayers are said for mothers at a special service. I remember as a little girl going to church with my mum and receiving a posy of flowers which I then gave to my mum.

How I wish she was still around to tell her how special she was.


Elizabeth Vera 1921-1992

Whatever you are doing today hope you have a lovely day x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photograph of Elizabeth vera. How we miss our own Mother's on Mothering Sunday, huh?
Hope you had a lovely day.
Carolyn
http://willowhouse.typepad.com